Monday, October 14, 2013

The only chaperone without a kid...let's keep it that way.

My mom and I have always been super close my entire life. Most kids can't wait to break away from their parents as soon as they can, but that was never me. I didn't get my license until I was 20 because I felt no need to drive myself. I was fine with my mom driving me to and from COLLEGE. Holy moly, when I look back at those days, I am embarrassed for myself. She still has to come get me from school now, but not due to lack of licensing anymore. Now it is just that I don't have a car. REGARDLESS, my mom and I are very close. 



So, when I come home from school at the end of each week, I usually go on Thursdays or Fridays and take her lunch or help out in her classroom, simply because I like seeing her. I have gotten somewhat close to her class this year and that's saying a lot because I am not a kid fan. But these ones are pretty precious and I have been their unofficial class photographer for parties this year. On Friday, I went as photog/chaperone on the 1st grade class field trip to Bates Nut Farm, which basically is a pumpkin patch out in Valley Center. 



 The day included a tractor ride, corn maze, learning about how pumpkins grow (FYI pumpkins are all girls...who knew?), and picking a pumpkin to take home. Being the freak I am, my favorite part of the day was feeding goats and sheep.


 aaand taking selfies with them. 



Many a mom asked if I wanted them to take my picture for me, but that would be too normal. And that is just not me. 

I decided on this day that a baby lamb and I must live together some day. I almost cried when I heard her baa-ing. 

By the time the day was done (aka it was noon and time for us to head back to school), I was so sick of children. Bates Nut Farm was crawling with little nuggets. Kids EVERYWHERE. They're crazed, clingy, wild, and stressful (they're really not, I just am dramatic. Forgive me). I was so excited to get back to school and send them off to their own parents. I sound like a horrible person, but I just do not do well with tons and tons of kids (and there were only 11 with us...how sad am I). I like a small group of kids at a time and in small dosages. They're all sweet, don't get me wrong. Just not my thing. I was fine being the only chaperone there without a kid. My mother (that precious little lady seen in the pictures above) says that I will like kids when they are my own. Goodness, I hope so. How much would that suck for my kids if I don't like them. Bless my mother and Jonisan for dedicating their careers to working with kids. I am in awe of people who can do it, because I need a break just after a three hour fieldtrip. They are all sweethearts, I just am not a kid person. I wish I was! I simply have no patience and I stress out way too easily.

Jonathan and I talk frequently about just having Lola be our only child in life. We don't need another, baby Lolie is enough for us.

(seriously, what else could we need?!)

To relax after my exhausting morning of kids (ha, I am so dramatic, it really wasn't bad. I chose to go in the first place), I rewarded myself with my usual Friday ritual: Ross and Nordstrom Rack. I have got to stop going to Ross. All I buy are housewares...and I don't have my own house. This trip I got a throw blanket. Like the kind that go over a couch or at the end of a bed. Last trip I got a dog bed and wall hangings. Seriously, I am a housewife without a house. I always have to restrain myself from buying shower curtains and coffee mugs.

Now the weekend is over and I am back at this horrible place called school. Sigh. Time for the countdown to the weekend to start again.

xo, 
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment